So Samsung had this whole thing recently in america and apparently they launched the new jesus phone, Well being from England made my whole waiting up to watch it live thing kinda hard, seen as it was streamed during the early hours of the morning. so what was I to do? Seeing as this event was apparently vital to my continued geek creed I did what every good geek would do, I read a chapter of a book and went to sleep knowing I would get all the necessary information from many sources the next day, This proved to be a completely accurate because this phone has reached apple levels of hype and if I’m truly honest the Samsung galaxy S4 its nothing special, In my opinion its a big pile of meh. You say you want a revolution well this isn’t the phone for you, This is certainly more evolution than revolution. so lets get right into this crazy thing and we’ll start by giving you a nice overview of the hardware.
As you can see you could easily mistake the Samsung galaxy S4 for it older brother the galaxy S3, Samsung have maintained their design principles here and with the exception of the 5 inch screen the two look eerily similar, So with the outside staying the same they must have made some huge changes on the inside? oh well you’d think that but no. Naturally they have upped the specs count but they tried to hide what is a generic phone (by today’s standards) behind some flashy gimmicks that i don’t think will go anywhere. So I’ve listed the official specs below, so you can make up your own mind.
Official Samsung Galaxy S4 specs
- Network: 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE): 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz; 3G (HSPA+ 42Mbps): 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz; 4G (LTE Cat 3 100/50Mbps) : up to 6 different band sets(Dependent on market)
- Display: 5 inch Full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080) display, 441 ppi
- Processor: 1.9GHz quad-core processor / 1.6GHz octa-core processor (will differ depending on market)
- OS: Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- Rear Camera: 13 Mega pixel Auto Focus camera with Flash & Zero Shutter Lag, BIS
- Front Camera: 2 Mega pixel camera, Full HD recording @30fps with Zero Shutter Lag, BIS
- Video: Codec: MPEG4, H.264, H.263, DivX, DivX3.11, VC-1, VP8, WMV7/8, Sorenson Spark, HEVC; Recording & Playback: Full HD (1080p)
- Audio: Codec: MP3, AMR-NB/WB, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA, OGG, FLAC, AC-3, apt-X
- Camera Features: Dual Camera: Dual Shot / Dual Recording/ Dual Video Call
Drama Shot, Sound & Shot, 360 Photo, Cinema Photo, Eraser, Night, Best Photo, Best Face,
Beauty Face, HDR (High Dynamic Range), Panorama, Sports
- Additional Features: Group Play: Share Music, Share Picture, Share Document, Play Games
Story Album, S Translator, Optical Reader
Samsung Smart Scroll, Samsung Smart Pause, Air Gesture, Air View,
Samsung Hub, ChatON (Voice/Video Call, Share screen, 3-way calling)
S Travel (Trip Advisor), S Voice™ Drive, S Health
Samsung Adapt Display, Samsung Adapt Sound
Auto adjust touch sensitivity (Glove friendly)
Safety Assistance, Samsung Link, Screen Mirroring
Samsung KNOX (B2B only)
- Google Mobile Services: Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Latitude, Google Play Store, Google Plus, YouTube, Google Talk, Google Places, Google Navigation, Google Downloads, Voice Search
- Connectivity: WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (HT80), GPS / GLONASS, NFC, Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE), IR LED (Remote Control), MHL 2.0
- Sensors: Accelerometer, RGB light, Geomagnetic, Proximity, Gyro, Barometer, Temperature & Humidity, Gesture
- RAM: 2GB
- Internal Storage: 16/ 32/ 64 GB User memory + microSD slot (up to 64GB)
- Dimensions: 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm, 130g
- Battery: 2,600 mAh
Despite what i said the specs are great but they are nothing to write home about, Personally i love the 13 megapixel camera, Samsung have a great history of ok cameras so this nice incremental change which will help camera quality i’m sure. Its also nice to see Samsung stick with the microsd card slot meaning that their phone could potentially have a maximum storage of 96 gigs, that make me very excited indeed because i’m the guy who needs every piece of music amd every film with him at all times and off course that requires a lot of storage.
So this is the hardware side of the launch I was going to try and get everything into one blog post but that is proving harder than i thought, So i’ll just stop here, Stay tuned for my write up on the software and the new line of accessories that was launched with the phone. This was a very solid phone release but unfortunately it appears that Samsung is resting on it laurels and is using gimmicks to try and make the galaxy appear to be more important that it is. I guess this is what happens when your greatest rival (apple) is faltering, The truth is Samsung doesn’t have to try to be noticed anymore and as a result they aren’t trying anymore and i for one want the scrappy upstart back but i guess i’ll have to wait for a new credible rival to show up.